White Hall was built for Dr. Aaron White in 1844. This structure is a fine example of the Greek Revival style on the exterior and has excellent examples of early Tennessee workmanship on the interior. The house retains much of its original integrity.
White Hall was the first Spring Hill headquarters of Confederate General Earl Van Dom in 1863. It was here that Jessie Peters came to visit the General and caused the White family much distress because of her indiscreet behavior. In fact, Mrs. White wanted the General to leave; and he moved his headquarters to Ferguson Hall where he was killed shortly thereafter.
General Nathan Bedford Forrest and his troops enjoyed the hospitality of White Hall. The Whites and their neighbors fed his troops on their way to the Battle of Franklin. Unfortunately, shortly afterwards, soldiers were brought here where the halls of White Hall became a hospital for the wounded. Their moans filled the house and frightened the White children.
Some say that late at night or in the early morning hours they have heard hoof beats down Duplex Road and then stopping at the front gate of White Hall. There has been much discussion about just who this could be.....Dr. White returning from a late night visit with the sick. General Van Dom returning to his first headquarters, Jessie Peters coming to visit the General, General Forrest or one of his soldiers returning. Whatever your speculation, let it serve as a reminder that this is a home that played a significant role in history.