Rattle and Snap

Photo Gallery

The South's premier plantation house! Built in 1845, Rattle & Snap is unrivaled in sheer beauty. This house today holds the distinction of being the finest example of a restored plantation in the Nation. It holds the status of a National Registry Landmark. What has become known as Rattle & Snap was born out of a game of chance. Colonel William Polk was playing a game of "beans" with the Governor of North Carolina. At stake was the Governor's 5,648 acre Revolutionary land grant. Col. Polk remembered his good fortune that night by naming his new land "Rattle & Snap." It was William's son George who came to settle this land and carry on the name for his new home. The home was complimented by the work of a German landscape artist. Today we are privileged to have this testimony of another era standing guard as it so superbly has for over 150 years. It is a private home, but is available for group tours.

 

Maury County Convention & Visitors Bureau | 8 Public Square, Columbia, TN 38401 | Phone. 888-852-1860